Tuesday, April 22, 2008

134 Days and Counting

Well, it is still 134 days until I leave for Beijing, but I can't even say how excited I am! However, with this sense of excitement is a growing apprehension about what life is going to be like next year. So, the nerd in me took over for a while and I did some research about Beijing. Here is some of the stuff I found out:

*Basically, Beijing is HUGE! The total population for the city and all the little suburbs is right around 15 MILLION people!!! In the city alone there are 7.3 million! Just to give you an idea of how many people that is, in 2000 Manhattan's population was just over 1.5 million people.
*Beijing gets REALLY cold. I mean like right around 5 degrees F cold... with blisteringly bitter winds ripping down the mountains that surround the city... BRRRRR!
*When I typed in "traditional food in Beijing" roast duck and "hot pot" with mutton came up as the most commonly eaten foods... Good bye being a vegetarian!
*There was also a ton of cool stuff on the Forbidden City and the Great Wall and I am so excited to go see them!

Anyway, even though the size, weather, and food came across as slightly intimidating, it hasn't turned me off going at all. In fact, it just makes me want to see and experience it all for myself.
Well, until next time- Julia

No comments: