Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Sick... But Happy?

Sorry for the delay in post. I have dozens of excuses, but I don't think you want to hear all of them so please forgive me for taking so long to write to you and thank you for your patience (for the most part...)

Last week was midterms week so you can probably imagine the scene. 50 odd electric blue bundles of nerves zipping through the hall, scribbling clumsy characters on white boards, and ripping out their hair. (Actually, my hair is currently falling out an alarming pace due to stress (I think) so I refrained from the hair ripping.) So, in a word, it was chaos. I experienced mid term week in a slightly different way than most people because my Chinese teachers decided I could move up from Chinese 2 to Chinese 3. That's good news right? Here's the catch, I had 7 chapters between the two classes to catch up on by myself and one week to do it. All of my grades from the first quarter of Chinese classes, which were reasonably good, were cancelled and I start fresh with level 3. I not only had to take my Chinese midterms from level 2 (and do well on them), but also take a midterm Monday for a class 4 chapters ahead. When I found this out, one thought dominated my head and I vocalized it frequently...
AHHHHHHHHHHHH!
As you can see I was a little bit stressed out... ok, a lot stressed out, but clearly, because I am writing this, I survived without throwing myself from the 6th floor window were our SYA classes take place. The midterms were hard, but I think I did ok on them (I haven't gotten them back yet). Unfortunately, the late night studying took its toll and today I came home from school sick.
I would have thought that being sick in a country half way across the world from my friends and family would be a reasonably tramuatic experience. Rather, it has actually made me see the bonds I have made with people here. For example, when I biked home and passed out in bed for 3 hours, I awoke to my baba rushing through the door to make sure I was ok and then proceeding to make me lunch and tea. My mama was equally concerned and would not stop fussing over me until I resembled an arctic explorer with all my sweatshirts, pants, gloves, scarves, and hat. I then waddled back to my room to do homework with repeated check in's from both of them. It may seem silly to you but the fact that they cared so much for my well being really made me feel better. I didn't know you could be happy and be sick at the same time, but it seems to be possible :)
Now, I feel somewhat better, although my mama is convinced I still have a fever. Right now she is edging around the door, surely about to tell me it is time for sleep. I completely agree with her and off to bed I go.
Until Next Time
Jules

Song of the Day:
Clarity By: John Mayer

1 comment:

clara said...

Hey Julia! It's Tracy (aka Catherine Howard haha)...Clara showed me your blog which is very interesting!

Hope you're having fun in China...feel better!