Monday, September 8, 2008

Not All Fun and Games

I knew when I signed up for this trip it was going to be hard academically and in terms of missing people back home, but I could never have fully understood the culture shock or how difficult adjusting would be. Everything here is different. On the roads there is a blatant disregard for traffic laws that would put even most NYC cab drivers to shame. While eating half of my food ends up in my lap because of my complete lack of chopstick wielding skills. Everywhere I go people's glances seem to linger, and I know I stand out. Its all a little bit difficult to take in while trying at the same time to master, in just a few months, a language so complex it takes several years for most people to learn. Our teachers keep telling us that every week it gets better and by the time a month rolls around we will all be fine. I hope this is the case.
However, I don't want people to think I don't like it here. Amidst this struggle and anxiety there have been some truly funny moments, most including my host family. Tonight, while we were walking home, I asked my dad what American movies he liked. He first said he liked James Bond, but then something in Chinese I didn't understand. He said something that sounded like " Taaaii- son". And after I gave him another confused face he proceeded to grab his ear and chomp his teeth together like he was chewing. He likes Tyson- the wrestler who bit another man's ear off! We laughed about it for a very long time, and when the laughter died away I realized that all this difficulty is worth it. After that my host mom, who speaks NO english, took my hand and said I was her haizi, child, just like her real daughter Wang Qian. It reminded me of why I came and gave me a boost.

Well, its time for me to go to sleep, I'm exhausted!
Until next time,
Julia aka Wang Yun- the name my host dad gave me. It means lively and nice smelling :)

Song of the Day:
Falling Away With You by Muse

2 comments:

Alexis said...

good smelling???? sounds like u r having a great, if exhausting, time. send more pictures- everything looks amazing! everything here is soo crazy. keep bloggong!

Michele said...

Julia,
Spoke to your Mom before the fizzled-out Hanna arrived and she suggested I visit your blog. Loved reading it. Hope you'll have time to keep us up to speed. Please note that I really enjoyed the picture of your bike, and know that I never learned to ride a bike in any color. Needless to say I'm also clueless when it comes to headgear. Lots of love, Alexis' Mom